Friday, September 11, 2009

overwhelmed.

I cant think of a better word for how I am currently feeling other than...overwhelmed. Oh, and in awe...as well as thankful. Yep, that about covers it...mostly.

Ever since I decided to jump into the deep end with birth photography, having had no previous experience, training or editing know-how, things have been moving at a rapid pace. Well, for me anyway. In the space of a week, I have enrolled in my photography course, found a babysitter in my wonderful friend and around-the-corner-neighbour Ilana (who incidentally is doing the same course with me, hooray!), have booked my first non-friend client (who will become a friend Im sure) for next May for a homebirth, and have started looking at lenses, batteries, memory cards, etc. I have started polling different business names on Bubhub and Facebook so that I can register my domain name now. I have a plan in place...well, kinda. I am going to shoot my friends birth next month, and then take Nov, Dec and Jan to just learn as much as I can on ALL aspects of technical, creative and business-starting nature, and then book clients after that. If they will have me. I need Cade to be weaned to do this, due to the last-minute nature of the business and I really want to make it to 12 months before weaning. So February next year is when all the hands-on stuff begins. And Im SUPER excited about it. Sadly, there are so few birth photographers out there worldwide, so there is little to learn online from anywhere. I would love to find one in Sydney who can mentor me as it were, but save a miracle, not sure how that will happen seeing as I cant find any others. So, I will practise all I can in a non-hospital setting. I figure that will at least help me learn to find the detail, the expression in things/people...that which is the most important in birth photography.

And through this all, I keep being reminded of John 10:10...everyone knows the verse. But it has been on my spirit all week. Abundantly. Life abundantly. Abundantly. Its such a strong word, a rich word. I dont feel as if I was living life abundantly the last year or so...We all go through seasons, and mine was a lonely and stressful one...one without vision, which can be a dangerous place to be, if not rooted in Christ. And yet, in the span of a week, I feel as if I have vision again, a purpose, a chance to bring light into people's lives. I love Matthew Henry's Commentary on this verse:
Christ came to give life and perisson ti—something more, something better, life with advantage; that in Christ we might not only live, but live comfortably, live plentifully, live and rejoice. Life in abundance is eternal life, life without death or fear of death, life and much more.
Live plentifully...in all areas. So that I can be utilised. Live with advantage. So that I can freely give out of plenty and not lack. SO good. And to see how God has turned something so traumatising for me into something so wonderful. Ive met the most amazing people these last few months...made some God-connections. He has orchestrated so much behind the scenes, all because He is in the business of turning ashes into something beautiful....oh man, Im overwhelmed...and in awe...and thankful.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for being an inspiration Britt. I wish you so much good luck with your new venture. I am in the same boat as you with a new business idea. I hope it goes well for you. If in the near future you ever need help with web design, let me know. A beautiful idea and subject would be a brilliant design for me to do!!!

    ReplyDelete