Monday, August 24, 2009

Door salesman and Kawasaki disease.

I really cant stand door-to-door salesmen. I mean, I know that opportunities can arrive in any form (see HERE for an inspirational post on a soap salesman), but when they arrive (without fail) in witching hour (why do they call it witching hour anyway, as if its only confined to a single 60 minutes?? It should be more like witching 4 hours!), pushing their way through my front door whilst ignoring the barking dog, the screaming baby, the whining preschooler. I mean, really? What makes them think that I am going to be able to switch all of that off to focus on them for 20 minutes? And 9 times out of 10, it is someone trying to get me to switch energy providers. Tonight was no exception, and through deceit of his words, and omission of a few facts, I have now officially switched...whilst holding the dog and trying to calm the baby by talking to him from a distance. Well done, Mr.-I-Didn't-Give-A-Name. You were successful. And now I will have to unravel the mound of paperwork to try and figure out what the hell I actually signed up for. Whats worse is that I will have to go through it all again in a couple of weeks' time...

And Carter is sick. He woke up with a fever...no dramas. Just another bug, right? Well, whinging to my mum (who is a nurse) and explaining his symptoms, she seems to think we need to keep an eye out for Kawasaki Disease. See, he said that the only thing that hurt were his hands. Okkkaaayyy...hands. Right. Mum asks if his eyes are red. "No", I say. Well, they are tonight. He didn't eat dinner, his hands are still hurting (and are red), so now we are just waiting on one more of the myriad of symptoms to take him in. As if we really need that. I mean, logistically (I shouldn't be thinking logistically if my sons life is on the line, right?), how can I stay in hospital with him for treatment? Cade is joined at the boob, and Jonno cant take more time off work. Not to mention the horrible side effects of the treatments and drugs and the very real possibility of life-long complications. Ugh. I cant think about it tonight. Tomorrow morning, when I should be dropping him off at preschool and heading to the gym to top myself up with endorphins (much-needed I might add)...tomorrow morning, I can think about it.

And so, I'm heading to bed in anticipation of yet another very sleep-deprived night. Sometimes it sucks to be a mum...

No comments:

Post a Comment